- Take your pick of two free options of Silence Doctors for your station: Most likely your station automation program already has a silence sector built in, ZaraRadio for example has a configurable one, but it's only capable in relation to the playlist itself and essentially useless if the problem is exist elsewhere. What's required is something to insure your station remains broadcasting.
In a past post here Shhh don't be quiet, a software called Pira Pz was featured as an effective and free silence detector for your station. Its purpose is self explanatory - it detects silence!
If you're away from the studio and something should happen to go wrong, it could knock your station completely off the air.
What a silence detector does is monitor the audio, and when it detects that nothing is being broadcast it will take appropriate actions to correct the situation.
Its basically a backup system which can open up another application to play backup mp3s to avoid dead air, or transmit using windows text2speech, take a screenshot and email it to you, or reboot the whole computer.
I thought Para Pz was the only free silence doctor out there, but a few nights ago I stumbled across another one which sports a nice interface and has a few additional capabilities..
Blazar Silence Detector ,
Blazer is also freeware, that does everything Pira Pz can. But this one is also capable of monitoring two sound channels, and can execute multiple programs. But what's really cool is it can even send a text to your phone!, which is much more useful than just sending an alert email.
I also think the interface is more attractive.
Download Free: Blazar Silence Detector ,
- Monitors the noise level of a specified sound
- Monitors one or two sound channels
- Channels can be named
- Threshold level is adjustable
- Delay after the detector must be set to intervene
- E-mail list of people who should be informed by silences and return of the sound
- SMS mobile numbers to be informed by silences and return of the sound.
- Smtp settings (including SMTP Authentication) to use the email function
- List of programs to be carried out in silence
- List of programs to be executed upon return of the sound
- Logging function
- Can be minimized to the system tray (icon near the taskbar clock)
- Free, although a notification or reference is desired